For the Dal
2 onions, sliced into half moons
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 thumb ginger, grated
150g yellow lentils, rinsed
½ teaspoon chilli powder / chopped chilli (to taste)
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 tin coconut milk
1 small onion, finely diced
1 handful vegetables that need using up e.g. chopped tomato, broccoli, green beans etc.
2 teaspoons whole spices such as cumin, coriander, fennel, fenugreek or mustard seeds
For the Dal
- Sauté the onions in the butter on a medium heat until they begin to caramelise.
- Add the sliced garlic, grated ginger and the spices and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the lentils and stir, followed by the coconut milk and enough water to just cover all the ingredients.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, topping up with boiling water if the soup starts to dry out or stick to the pan.
- When the lentils have cooked and the consistency is becoming soupy, check for seasoning, adding salt to taste.
For the spice butter
- In a frying pan, melt the butter on a medium heat. Add the sliced onion and allow to caramelise.
- Add the whole spices and cook for a minute, stirring.
- Add any other chopped vegetables if using now, allowing longer for harder vegetables such as broccoli, and shorter times for tomatoes or spinach.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and top with spiced butter and vegetables.